Thursday, September 2, 2010

Unrealistic Expectations


I'm going to admit something here...I have unrealistic expectations.
Before I moved into my own house, I imagined myself as the perfect domestic goddess.
A magazine worthy house. Perfectly decorated and scrubbed clean with all natural products. Everything organized in cute little baskets and containers, with pretty labels identifying the contents. Fresh flowers on the kitchen counter.
A strict grocery shopping, cleaning, and laundry schedule.
Gourmet style meals. Healthy lunches packed for taking to work. Dinner put together, waiting in the refrigerator for easy cooking on busy nights.
A beautifully landscaped yard.
A hammock hanging out back. Homemade iced tea and baked goods served nightly.



Well, now that we have been on our own for all of a little over a month, it has come to my realization that this is not realistic.
The fact of the matter is, we are twenty-one years old.
My fiance works three part time jobs while searching for a full time job and deciding whether to continue on with his education. I work part time while struggling through school.
There is never enough money. I have a million great ideas, but projects take forever because we are always waiting on that next paycheck.
I hardly cook and we eat out more often than I would like to admit. I eat frozen meals for lunch at work and my fiance is on his own.
I sleep in too late, leave the bed unmade, towels on the bathroom floor, and dishes in the sink sometimes.
 I don't know how to sew and can't make pillow covers or curtains.
I take horrible pictures and don't know how to edit them to look perfect before posting them on my blog.
I don't have the most positive attitude and take stress out on my poor fiance.



It is so easy to look at all of the gorgeous blogs out there and feel overwhelmed. Not good enough. Everyone has that huge, magazine worthy house. They are all professional photographers and photoshop users. Between sewing, crafting, cooking, and baking, they redo entire rooms in a weeks time, all while managing to be perfect wives and stay at home moms.



There is nothing I want more than to be a wife and mom. I want to be that domestic goddess. But I have to learn to relax and not expect perfection. Maybe I can start by actually sticking to my goal of planning our meals and aiming to cook most nights ;)

~I hope your day is beautiful!~

{sources: kitchen from here, laundry basket from here, vintage scale unknown}

No comments:

Post a Comment